Thursday, September 20, 2007

Jena Deitrick: with a "K"

Sophomore Jena Deitrick had a very good freshman year. She was the junior varsity district champion and a key contributor at the regional meet. Over the summer she suffered from an injury that kept her from establishing a solid base. However, she has come back strong and is showing an enormous amount of progress.

KXC: Recently you made the move to varsity, what does that mean to you?

Jena: It means that I can get my letterman this year. I'm just happy to be a more important factor of the team.

KXC: Could you tell a real difference in the level of competition?

Jena: Yeah, last year I ran races to win medals, this year that seems pretty much impossible.

KXC: What kind of time are you hoping for before the end of the xc season?

Jena: Realistically, it would be great to run about 13 minutes for 2 miles, but I really want to run a 12:30. That would be amazing.

KXC: What would you like to run this Saturday at the Sweeny Invitational?

Jena: I want to break 14 minutes. I really think I can.

KXC: How are you preparing mentally for the Sweeny meet?

Jena: Honestly, I haven't really thought about it. I don't really know how to mentally prepare for races. That's a big problem for me.

KXC: What are you doing physically to get ready?

Jena: Ice baths. This week I've been trying to get better. Like today, I went out too fast because I knew I could and I feel super.

KXC: What do you eat the night before a race?

Jena: What ever I feel like eating. Sometimes a sandwich. Sometimes enchiladas. I really just try to drink a lot.

KXC: Which meet is your favorite?

Jena: Lamar Consolidated was my favorite last year. I got 2nd and it was just fun. The Woodlands was pretty exciting.

KXC: If someone asked you why you run xc what would be your response?

Jena: Because I like it. Its very challenging because I don't have natural talent. I like challenges though and I like running. It gets rid of a lot of stress. And when you PR, you feel pretty super. It is amazing.

KXC: What's with the socks?

Jena: I just like them. I like colorful stuff. It makes me happy. Its just something that Jena does. I don't ever own a pair of white socks.

KXC: Thanks Jena. Good luck on Saturday.

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter